Monday, October 31, 2005

JIMM 16 - The Cheryl Dawson Memorial Walk-a-thon

This post will remain at the top for the duration of October, for Domestic Violence Awareness month - DAJ (originally posted 200510040312)

Mood: contemplative

JIMM 16 (36:01, 32.9 MB) is a soundscape soundseeing podcast taken from audio recorded on Sunday, September 25, 2005. On that day members of the Cincinnati church of Christ, as well as others in the community, participated in the One Voice Cheryl Dawson Memorial Walk-a-thon One Voice Walk to help victims of domestic abuse and raise awareness of domestic violence. October is Domestic Violence Awareness month, so this event was aptly timed:

Cheryl Dawson was stabbed to death outside her workplace in March of 2002 by her estranged husband. She was a member of the Cincinnati church of Christ. (related post from March 2002: "One More Angel in Heaven")

In my research for this podcast, I browsed over to the YWCA Greater Cincinnati website and discovered that they have an Art Gallery, where this month they have a special exhibit going on this month entitled "Empty Chairs, Painful Windows". I mention more about it in the podcast.

Please, if you live in or close to the Cincinnati area, make time to visit this exhibit. The Y is located at the corner of Walnut and 9th Streets, across from the public library, in downtown Cincinnati. This past Saturday my wife, my daughter, and I visited the gallery ourselves. It was truly a moving experience.

Thanks go out to everyone who lent their voices to this podcast, including but not limited to, Brad, Mike, Jay, Tom, Betsy, my Mom, and many others.

Songs played:

  1. "Meant to Be" - Rob Costlow
    RobCostlow.com
  2. "I Do" - Rob Costlow
    RobCostlow.com
  3. "Glory, Glory" - Cincinnati church of Christ congregation
  4. "Family" - Rob Costlow
    RobCostlow.com
  5. "How I Got Over" - Cincinnati church of Christ choir

  6. "Not Alone" - Rob Costlow
    RobCostlow.com
  7. "Did You Think" - Adrina Thorpe
    Read the lyrics to "Did You Think"!
As I've listened to this podcast several times myself over the past few days, I'm struck by how well the music goes with everything you hear from the individual audio clips.

October 7, 2005 update: Thanks to Jon from the Tanfastic podcast for playing the promo for this show!

August 14, 2007 update: Updated the link to the YWCA gallery exhibit "Empty Chairs, Painful Windows"

As always thanks go out to the folks who help make this possible:
  • Audacity, a bit unstable at times, but it gets the job done. Just remember to save early and often!
  • podsafe music network
  • OurMedia.org and their partnership with the Internet Archive
  • Anyone else I may have left out
Please call the Listener Hotline (206-666-JIMM), leave me a comment (guidepost), or send me an e-mail to let me know what you think!

----------------
Now playing: Aloft Group, Inc. - #58 Podtini for Monday, August 13, 2007
via FoxyTunes

No comments: